Thursday, July 24, 2008

Sketch Card

The card I made this morning is based on Jen del Muro’s “Sketch For You To Try.” You can view her blog post by clicking HERE.

It was a fun sketch to work with. The image I used is one of the stamps I got at Oscar’s Door County Rubber Stamps when we were on vacation. I stamped it on Whisper White cardstock, and also on scrap pieces of green cardstock and printed paper. Both of these are from a pad by Sizzix. I cut out the image and the scalloped mat with rectangle Nestabilities. I cut out her dress and hat from the scraps and adhered them on to my image. Then I colored the image with Prismacolor Pencils and used Gamsol to blend. The flowers are colored with Stampin’ Up! markers. I popped it up with Pop Dots.

I used a Word Window punch for the strips on the left side and held them in place with white brads. The flower is punched with a Martha Stewart punch. Did you know you could emboss buttons? I didn’t! The button I had wasn’t quite the right color, so I colored it with a Stampin’ Up! marker. It didn’t seem to want to dry, so I thought I would dry it with my heat gun. Well, I thought since it didn’t want to dry, I should be able to use embossing powder on it. So, I inked it up again and sprinkled it with Iridescent Sparkle and heated it up. Voila! Worked like a charm! I sewed it on (yep, really – with a needle and thread) and used a pop dot to raise it from the main image. The "happy birthday to you!" sentiment is from a Studio G set.

Speaking of Studio G stamps, I had a fun project yesterday afternoon. I was reading in the SCS Weekly Inkling about suggestions on how to store acrylic stamps. Someone said they used ATC sleeve sheets. I thought, hmmm … I wonder if they will fit into something I got from CropStop. Sure enough, they fit into the same size that I had purchased for my small embossing folders! Very cool!! I had quite a few of those left over. The stamp sets are sooooo much easier to look through, now. If I had more sheets, I would only put one per slot, but they do fit two to a slot and that is how I have mine. A tad snug, but not bad at all.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you’ll come back and visit again soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynette this card is so adorable - I love the paper piecing and the paper you used! It is such a sweet image too!

Jeanette - said...

Lynette - this is beautiful!! I love how you made her dress match the background paper. Too cute!! I have this sketch on my table to work on, but I haven't gotten to it yet. Glad to hear it's a fun one.

deb said...

Darling! Love the paper piecing!! Love the colors!
hugz