Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Black and White and Gray Birthday

This card started as another card from the online card class that I took. For that lesson, it was basically quilling. You were to take thin strips of cardstock (I had cut mine to 1/8 inch strips) and roll them up and place them in the holes of stencils. I was excited to do that, since I already had my quilling book out and have been planning on doing some quilling for a long time and hadn't gotten around to it. However, the paper that I chose to use was five shades of purple, but it had a white core. That doesn't work for quilling - all you see from the top is the white! I was easily discouraged. I am a lazy card-maker and I didn't want to try to find different cardstocks in different colors and cut the strips again! So, those strips went into my "strips" jar and I just used the stencil with three shades of gray ink and made this background. I matted with black and added the die-cut sentiment. Hopefully I'll do some quilling soon, but I'm behind on all the things that I want to do. I got Gina K's card kit from July and I still haven't used anything from that. A couple days ago, I got the butterfly stencil bundle from Gina K and I'm excited to use that. Just not enough time in the day or days in the week!!

Thanks so much for stopping by, and I hope you'll come back and visit again soon!

4 comments:

Heartwarmers from Vicki said...

Very nice card using neutral colors. I have a large stencil with dots and need to use some blending brushes on a card. Like you said.....just not enough time to get it all done!

Leslie Miller said...

Gee, I'm trying to picture what it would look like with the quilled pieces. Not sure, but I do love it like this! I'm willing to spend a fair amount of time on a card if I'm enjoying the process, but when it comes to starting over... I'm not good at that.

Patti J said...

Great card! I don’t care for quilling, so I’m happy you changed things up! Oh, I so agree about time! I’m thinking I need to just craft for fun, not for deadlines…hmmm, maybe soon!

Cheryl W said...

Regardless of the technique you decided to use (or not use), your card turned out great. I quilled one card years ago and haven't really done any since then. I guess I'm not a big fan of quilling--it's SO time-consuming, especially if it's an intricate design. Lately I feel I have to produce as many cards as possible in the time I have, so I'm not doing anything to difficult or delicate.